The journey by car - Monday 18 June


  • Distance: 7.53 miles
  • Journey time: 29 mins 57 secs
  • Cost: £9.76 (comprising £6 car park charge and £3.76 vehicle costs using AA estimates)

The commute to work in my car this morning was straightforward and quite pleasant.

Due to the largely blue skies and mild temperature outside at 7.30am, I wished that I was heading to work on my bike instead, but one car journey during the week is necessary for comparison purposes, and this was the day for the car.

I understand all the reasons why the car is such a popular and convenient form of transport for many commuters, but even so, the journey did take around five minutes longer than the average time it takes me to cycle to work. This was mainly due to some minor road congestion and parking a short distance away from my office and walking there from the car park, whereas the building I work in has secure bike parking.

The traffic seemed slightly lighter than normal for a Monday morning on the route I used - the A52 through Bramcote, Beeston and Lenton - but experience tells me that this route does become less congested at this time of the year when students at the University of Nottingham, which I pass most working days, have either finished their academic year or are close to doing so. The only hold-ups were, as usual, approaching the Priory roundabout.

On the plus side, I arrived at work without having to shower and change, and the car radio had provided good entertainment on the journey. I listened to BBC 5 Live and felt well informed about, among other things, a new funding deal for the NHS and this week's 70th anniversary of the arrival of HMS Windrush, the ship that carried around 500 migrant workers to the UK from the West Indies after World War Two.

I was also amused by the rather wishful and illogical proposition by some commentators on the radio that because Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Spain and Portugal, nations among the favourites to win the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, had not won their opening matches, somehow that meant England were guaranteed to beat Tunisia in their first match tonight!

The cost of the journey worked out at just under £10, as I've itemised above. I would like to be able to give you an indication of how much air pollution I was exposed to during the journey but, unfortunately, I haven't so far been able to source a measuring device. I'm hoping to do so at some point this week.

Tomorrow, I'll be commuting using a combination of walking and the Nottingham Express Transit tram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey on foot and by bus - Wednesday 20 June

Who am I and what am I doing?

The journey by bicycle - Thursday 21 June